Friday, April 1, 2016

City ghazal (people everywhere)

I am the city. I am its feet. People everywhere.
I am the pavement, melting in heat. People everywhere.

I am the ancient trickle deep underground
The secret stream under the street. People everywhere.

I am the argument surging back and forth
I am the card sharp, the sneak thief, the cheat. People everywhere.

I am the old, shady bookstore. I am the bench.
The woman resting on the concrete. People everywhere.

I am the side road, the pothole, the very dangerous corner
I am the strollers, the jaywalkers, loud and offbeat. People everywhere.

I am the city. I am the old pounding argument.
I am the worst case. The footstep. The drumbeat. People everywhere.

I am alive and the city breathes with me. I disappear.

I am nothingness, perfect, bitter, and sweet. People everywhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment